What is spousal or marriage visa? Are they the same? How do I apply for one? These are some of the important questions that could be bothering your mind. The following information will help you learn more about spousal or marriage visa.
What is Spousal or Marriage Visa?
Spousal, otherwise termed as marriage or partner visa in other countries, is a permission granted by a country for their citizen or permanent resident to bring his or her spouse to his or her country and live there. Generally, spouses are also given the permission to study and work there. The period of stay in the country can be permanent or for a definite period of time, depending on the type of spousal visa and the country applied for.
US Spousal Visa
In US, there are two types of spousal visa. These are the immigrant visa and the non-immigrant visa. If you are an American citizen who wants to bring your spouse to the US and live there permanently, you can apply for the immigrant spousal visa. However, because of longer processing period, you can also apply for a non-immigrant spousal visa or the K-3 to shorten the separation between you and your spouse. One good thing about the K-3 is that it allows your spouse to go with you to the US and live there while the immigrant visa petition is still pending. If you have kids, the K-4 visa applies.
UK Marriage Visa
If you are a British citizen and you wish to bring your non-British spouse to UK and live there, you can apply for a marriage visa. Aside from living there, the marriage visa will also allow your spouse to work in the UK. There are conditions, though, that you have to meet in order to apply for a marriage visa and be granted permanent residency , including, but not limited to the following:
- You have the intention to live together permanently with your spouse in UK.
- You have been together as a couple for 4 years or more and have passed the Life in the UK test. If you have not been together for at least 4 years, you will still be granted a marriage visa for a probationary period of two years. If you are still married and living together after two years, you will then be granted permanent residency in the UK.
- You have an available and suitable place to live with your spouse or any dependent.
- You have enough funds to support your spouse, your dependents, and yourself during your stay in UK.
Australia Marriage Visa
In Australia, they use a partner visa to allow a partner of an Australian citizen, whether married or de facto, to enter and stay in Australia. “De facto” means by practice or a marriage outside the law. Once you file the application, you are both applying for a temporary partner visa and the permanent partner visa. The temporary visa will allow your spouse to temporarily stay in Australia until his or her permanent partner visa is approved. The permanent partner visa, on the other hand, allows for permanent residency in Australia. The permanent partner visa is granted directly to your spouse if during the time you submitted your application, you have already been married for two years with a dependent child of your relationship or three years without a child.
How do you apply for a marriage or spousal visa?
Eligibility and requirements in applying for a spousal, marriage, or partner visa, vary per country. Generally, you have to prove your marriage or partner relationship, submit necessary documents, undergo medical examinations, and prove that you are financially capable of bringing your spouse to your country and have him or her live there with you and your dependents, if you have any.
To know more on the steps and conditions in applying for a marriage, partner, or spousal visa, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Other things you should know
- If you are bringing your spouse to your country for vacation, without the intention of permanently living there, do not apply for a spousal visa. Instead, he or she can apply for a visiting visa. Spousal or marriage visa only applies if you have the intention to permanently live in your country with your spouse or partner.
- It is important not to confuse a marriage visa with other visas containing the word “marriage”. In UK, for example, they also have a visa as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership, aside from their marriage visa. This refers to a visa that will allow a British citizen to bring his or her fiancé to UK and stay there for a short time just to get married. The period for this visa is 6 months. In Australia, they also have “Prospective Marriage Visa” with a validity of 9 months, which allows an Australian citizen to bring his or her fiancé to Australia and get married there.
If you have now decided to get a spousal or marriage visa for your spouse, make sure you submit all the needed documents and go through all other requirements to make the processing faster and more efficient.