Going on a road trip with kids are totally different. Kids’ needs and interests are different that is why your travel plan is different, your activities are different, and the things to pack are different. You will probably be making more stops than you expect and will be hearing more complaints.
When it comes to packing especially for the kids, here are some things you need to add to your list, aside from the clothes and footwear, to make your road trip more comfortable, fun, and hassle-free.
- Books (including activity books and pocket books), magazines, and comics;
- Audio books you can play in the car;
- Sketchbook or scratch papers;
- Pens, crayons, colored pencils, and washable markers;
- Tablet or smart phone with saved games, music, movies, and videos;
- Portable DVD player with new movies kids have not seen yet;
- Soft handy toys for babies and toddlers;
- Scrapbook envelope where they can put collected postcards, tickets, used entrance bands from theme parks, maps, brochures, and other paper collectibles;
- Individually packed snacks including biscuits, crackers, pretzels, protein bars, trail mix, and dried fruits;
- Refillable bottles with water;
- First aid and medicine kit, with important medicines for fever, allergies, insect bites, and more.
- Chewable vitamins;
- Motion sickness bag;
- Tissues, paper towels, and wipes;
- Trash bags and sealable plastic bags for used diapers and motion sickness bags.
- Pillows and blankets if there’s more room in your car;
- Easily accessible extra clothes in case of spills, as well as hats or caps, jackets, and sunglasses;
- Picnic mat; and
- Jump ropes, balls, and other toys kids can use at picnic areas.
Other things you should not forget to pack for your road trip include the following:
- Road flares;
- Basic car safety equipment like jumper cables, reflective warning triangles, and foam tire sealant;
- Swiss knife; and
- Cellphone charger (consider solar-powered charger)
With this list, you will hopefully be hearing less boredom complaints from your kids, fewer cries, and more fun.
Is there something you would like to add on the list? Please share them in the comments section below.