Interested in going to New Zealand? Whether your purpose is simply for vacation, education, work, to join family, or do business, you need a visa to enter and stay in New Zealand. Here 3 simple steps in processing your New Zealand visa application.
Step 1. Know the type of New Zealand visa you need
The type of visa you need to apply basically depends on your purpose for traveling to New Zealand. The following are types of visas you can apply for based on your reason for travel.
The visa types under this category are applied by those traveling for a holiday in New Zealand. They also apply to those who go there to visit family and partners or to engage in sports and arts in New Zealand. Specific types of visitor visas include the following:
- Visitor – Visitor Visa, Group Visitor Visa, and Parent and Grandparent Visitor visa;
- Family and partners – Adoption Visitor Visa, Adoption Pre-citizenship Visa, Child of a New Zealander Visitor Visa, Child of a Student Visitor Visa, Child of a Worker Visitor Visa, and Child of Military Visitor Visa;
- Sports and Arts – Arts and Music Festival Visitor Visa, Entertainers Work Visa, and Sports Events visitor Visa; and
- Others – Academic Visitor Visa, Crew Joining a Ship or Plane Visitor Visa, and Escort of Medical patients Visitor Visa.
If you are planning to work in New Zealand, you may apply for the following visas:
- By Job offer – Entertainer’s Work Visa, Essential Skills Work Visa, Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa, Post-Study Work Visa – Employer Assisted, Recognized Seasonal Employer Limited Visa, and Religious Worker Resident Visa; and
- By New Zealand Qualification – Post-Study Work Visa – Open, Post-study Work Visa – Employer Assisted, and Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa.
New Zealand also issues visas to those who wish to study in New Zealand. They are categorized according to the duration of educational stay in the country.
- More than 6 months – Dependent Child Student Visa, Exchange Student Visa, Fee Paying Student visa, Foreign Government Supported Student Visa, New Zealand Aid Student Visa, and Pathway Student Visa.
- Less than 6 months – Fee Paying student Visa, Pathway Student Visa, Exchange Student Visa, New Zealand Aid Student Visa, Foreign Government Supported Student Visa, and Occupational Registration Visitor Visa.
To join family
If you are going to New Zealand to visit or join your partner, child, parent, or extended family member, you may consider applying for one of the following visas:
To invest and conduct business
For business and investment purposes, you may apply for any of the following visas:
- APEC Business Travel Card
- Business Visitor Visa
- Global Impact Work Visa
- Entrepreneur Resident Visa
- Entrepreneur Work Visa
- Investor 2 Resident Visa
You may also apply for a visa to reside in new Zealand depending on basis of your residence.
- Employment or Business – Entrepreneur Resident Visa, Investor 2 Resident Visa, Investor 1 Resident Visa, Long Term Skill Shortage List Resident Visa, Pacific Access Category Resident Visa, Permanent Resident Visa.
- Family – Dependent Child Resident Visa, Intercountry Adoption Resident Visa, Parent Resident visa, Parent Retirement Resident Visa, Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa, and Permanent Resident Visa.
- Others – Australian Resident Visa, Pacific Access Category Resident Visa, Talent (Arts, Culture, Sports) Resident Visa.
If you are not sure what type of New Zealand visa to apply for, you may contact us using the assessment form.
Step 2. Apply for the right New Zealand Visa
Once you know the right type of New Zealand visa to apply for, you will also learn about the correct forms to fill up, as well as the other requirements to submit. You may check out the list of forms and guides here courtesy of the New Zealand Immigration.
Once ready with the requirements, you may submit your application over the counter, via postal services, or online.
It is much better if you can seek help from credible experts like Ultimate Visa Corporation.
Step 3. Wait for visa decision
After your submission to the NZVAC, you will later receive an SMS notification that your passport and application has been delivered to the New Zealand Embassy. You will receive another notification saying that your visa application is being processed. The waiting time is ideally 20 working days; however, it can be done for as soon as 3-5 working days. The embassy will be reviewing your application and may require additional documents from you when necessary.
Once done, you will receive another notification that your application has been approved or denied. If approved, you will then receive your passport with a New Zealand Visa from the courier of NZVAC.
Applying for a New Zealand visa is quite simple as long as you have all the requirements needed and as long as you follow the application steps carefully.
For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us. Consultation is free.